Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bon Soir, Diner En Blanc

Well the big day has finally come and gone, and it was certainly a memorable adventure. We drove downtown, and as we were looking for parking I realized that the table and chairs were back at the house, so I had to make an emergency phone call to my mother to have her bring them down to us. Luckily we had plenty of time to wait for her arrival.

Then on our short walk to the final destination, one of the glasses jumped out of the cart and broke...I guess it didn't want to come with us... My table managed to look pretty good anyway, and all of the practicing that I did before hand really paid off, because we were able to set up in about 10 minutes.


I have a thing for linen and china and silverware, and a year or two ago I went on a kick scouring thrift stores, blogs and building a collection of interesting dishes and linen in a wide array of patterns, colors and styles. I easily designed a table setting with those pieces, but of course I also bought some new pieces, such as the mercury glass votive candle holders and the salad tongs with mercury glass handles, and fresh hydrangeas. As an added touch, I borrowed Grandmom's silver, and bought a silver plated champagne bucket (also from a thrift store).


Sample Place Setting


The menu was easy. I stuck with the salad, added a cheese plate, sliced beef with carmelized onions and horseradish cream and Trader Joes' lemon bars.
Napkin waving signals the start of dinner.


Fashion on the other hand was not as easy.  I ordered lace rabbit ears on Etsy, that weren't quite right, but they came all the way from China, so I could not return them in time. I added some floral and feather embellishments, and was much happier. I found the perfect shoes from Zara, however I ended up just keeping on my flat sandals (yes I do own flats). But then it literally took me an entire month to pull together an outfit.I searched online, local stores, and in KOP and I thought I found something...but then it wasn't quite the look I was going for.


This was a fake-out. I thought I had the dress but it wasn't right.

Paul Poiret image via Fashion Art
I was looking for a Paul Poiret-esque look.
Paul Poiret image via Fashion Art

I finally got creative and layered two dresses (this Ann Taylor dress designed and worn by Kate Hudson, and the fringe layer of the Zara dress) and I was quite pleased with the results! Sidebar: it was a nightmare finding this dress in my size, but the staff at the store on Walnut Street and in Delaware were quite helpful!

Zara




Dress: Zara (fringe), Ann Taylor. Headpiece: JRochelle Designs embellished rabbit ears. Sandals: Ugg Australia. Necklace: Kenneth Cole. Bracelets: Kate Spade, Tiffany& Co. [I had to remove my Toywatch because it was considered a "pop of color" which is taboo.]



The dance floor over looking the Schuykyll at the base of 30th Street Station.





I had a great time, and I can't wait until next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment