Thursday, June 28, 2012

Networking or Partying?

Sorry I'm so late at getting this post up. It's been such a busy couple of weeks. Ever since I started my handbag collection on June 3rd, I've gotten such positive feedback from everyone and even a few pre-orders. 
My week started with the last class of the Wharton SBDC business plan writing workshop. It was great to hear everyone's business plans and the progress that they've made in the 6weeks of our class. Unfortunately I still have not finished my plan, even though I have most of the components. It is on my "To Do" list! On my way home from class, I heard a pianist on one of the public art installations of the Heart and Soul Pianos  that were decorating the city visually and acoustically.


The next day, I made it to the Perelman building of the Philadelphia Museum of Art to check out the "Craft is Spoken Here" and "Secret Garden" exhibits.
"Static" Jessica Jane Julius


"Germination" Kyoko Tokumaru

"The Foundation of Word and Water" Lenore Tawney


"Every Touch" Jim Hodges

"Wow Bush/Turmoil in Full Bloom" Sheila Hicks



"The Inner Tree" Ted Hallman

Afterwards I headed over to check out the London Grill upstairs space for a future event. I love the red velvet curtains and these windows let in such beautiful sunlight!




My network/partying for the week begins with the Film and Music Industry "Mix and Mingle" event at the Tavern on Broad. This event was organized by the Greater Philadelphia Film Office, The Recording Academy-Philadelphia Chapter, and Google Philly with a special guest appearance by Schoolly D. This event was an amazing opportunity for me! I met writers, musicians and managers all who expressed interest in needing styling or costumes. I even met my deejay crush, DJ Phsh. The night didn't end until 10pm, which is late for a Tuesday night AND for an event that started at 5pm.


June 20 Although I was a little fatigued, I headed out to KOP for the "Summer Solstice Party" organized by AroundMainLine.com at Sullivan's Steakhouse. There was some great food, interesting people, but after an hour I had to head out to the Mediabistro event at Ms. Tootsie's in South Philly! I really debated before I left, whether or not I should go, but I figured I had the energy and I really needed to make some media contacts, so I decided "you only live once".

Image Courtesy of AroundMainLine.com


As you know by now, I can take some pretty horrible photos. I included this photo from the Mediabistro Networking event at Ms. Tootsie's anyway....I met some great people and had another long night:/

June 21 The next day after work, I headed to the "Community Partner Meetup" at Leeway Foundation. I've been trying to get to some of the artist talks at this organization, and I just couldn't find the time in my schedule. So I headed to this event to find out more about the group and its partners. I also managed to walk around and grab some shots of the work that was currently on display.

I've been a ZipCar member since 2009 and ZipCar Philly was celebrating its 5th birthday with a party for members at Revolution on Market St.I know this is technically not business related, but they have one of the most beautiful decks I have ever seen. Very relaxed, yet lively and they have a misting fan which to me is Genius! Especially since we have been having heat waves...

I returned home to realize that I was dangerously low on business cards!!! How exciting to know I had made 200 connections, not all of them have been lasting, but I'm still building my brand. I made a few edits to add all of my social media contacts and then ordered new business cards. Hopefully they arrive before I run out.

June 22  I am very fortunate to work at a cultural institution in the city, and virtually all of my colleagues are creative, so I bounce ideas off of them and they give me really good advice. Today I happened to talk with one of my colleagues who is an AMAZING artist, but is too busy, in-experienced, etc. to get enough opportunities to show her work. We came up with a great idea for a new event  in 2013. We're still working out the details, but stay tuned!

After work I headed to Fabric Row to visit the leather shop and for the "Fourth on Fourth" festivities.
I had the best time! I hung out at Follicle, meeting the owner and the milliner (hat designer)Nickolette Phillips as well as some fabulous Pim's Punch. Then I headed across the street to Urban Princess, where I hung out with Mary and her crew and enjoyed trying out some homemade soaps, scrubs and lip balms. Then it was off to Bus Stop Boutique for tea sandwiches, strawberry shortcake, and another gin based drink (I forgot the name, but there were blueberries and it was delicious). On display were hats by Tim Crawford and Patricia A. Grooms, two of Philly's finest milliners.


Follicle Studio featuring hats by Nickolette Phillips

Bus Stop Boutique window display

Elena of Bus Stop Boutique, Patricia A. Grooms of Vows Timeless Bridal Millinery, Lois Arnold of Chemocap, Bus Stop Boutique Staffers

Tim Crawford hats
I ended the night by checking out the venue, L'Etage, as a potential site for an event and then headed to Bistrot La Minette for Foie Gras Friday!!!! I thought about taking a photo, but I couldn't be that person, and definitely not in my favorite restaurant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment